Summary of Christian Love
Observations, Applications, Illumination, Illustration, Transformation (Insights from my study of how the word "love" is used in the Bible)
1. Love is a one word commandment that fulfills God's Law (Matt 22:37-40 also see Rom 13:8,10)
2. Love is a motivating force that drives us to act a certain way (Luke 10:39, also see 2 Cor 5:14 & John 15:13, 1 Thess 2:8-12)
3. Perfect obedient comes out of perfect Love (John 14:15, 21, 23, 24 also see 1John 2: 5 & 1 John 4:12, 2 John 1:6
4. Obedience is easy and enjoyable when it is motivated by Love. (Matt 11:29-30 & Heb 4:1-7 also see 1 John 5:3, )
5. The divine purpose of Love is to produce Christ-like obedience, which results in us bringing glory to God. (Matt 5:48, Rom 12:2, Phil 3:15, Rom 4:20 also see Matt 5:16)
1.Christianity is the only religion that was intended to be totally dependent on Love as a motivating force. (2 Cor 5:14-15). As a result, it is the only religion that can produce perfect obedience, Godliness and Christ likeness. (2 Pet 1:3,4)
2. Strategy of our enemy: Satan wants Christians to focus on symptoms of disobedience instead of the root cause of disobedience. The symptoms of disobedience are the rules that we continually break. Rules that we know God wants us to follow. As we pour more time into treating the symptoms (this sin over here and that sin over there) we have less time to address the root cause of disobedience which is "lack of love" for our God. ( Matt 23:23-26 & John 5:42)
3.Loving God: We Love Him because he first Loved us (1 John 4:19). Lord, help me to be drawn closer to you as I set aside time to get to know you better and get to know your love for me better.
4. Loving Others: We avoid Love because we know it will lead to sacrifice. Our old man wants to avoid sacrifice. We need faith in order to sacrifice. Lord, help me to have faith to see others as you see them so I can love them more.
Love sets Christianity apart from all other belief systems. Before we can love God (to the degree that He wants) we must understand fully what He has done “in space and time” to demonstrate His love for us. The Bible says God demonstrated His love to us when He sent His only son to die for us. The more we understand His sacrifice and love for us, the more we will love Him and love to do His will. This love will take us where man alone could never go! (See "Understanding God's Love" page of this site.)
Illustration: Man has designed cars to run on gasoline. God has designed the Christian life to run on Love. Without gasoline, a car can go only as fast as man can push it. Without love, our good deeds are nothing. (see 1 Cor 13:2)
Transformation:It does not matter what happens to me . What matters is how I react to the things that happen to me. This is who I am. (see Proverbs 27:19)
It Is TRUE! Biblical Love sets Christianity apart from all other Religions and Belief Systems.
All other belief systems require that you "try harder" to please God. This approach "PUSHES" one to God. Christianity requires that one depends on the work that Jesus did to please God. As will be seen later, this approach leads to greatfulness; which leads to love; which leads to a "want to" please God. This approach "PULLS" a Christian to God.
Last Revision of this site was April 11 2020......by Wayne